Thursday, May 21, 2009

100+ Years

I mentioned in an earlier post that one of my friends and former co-workers is retiring this month after teaching for 30 years. At the high school where I taught, there were four of us in the English department who collectively had over 100 years at the school. In these days, it is becoming more unusual for people to spend so many years at one place. So we four have always felt a great pride and loyalty to our school and our students. I was the first of the four to retire when I retired last year. And although I knew I was making the right decision, it was extremely difficult and emotional to leave what was my life for 30 years. I know Debbie, the second to retire, is feeling the same these last days. In fact, today was her last day with students, the last day of final exams. While tomorrow is make-up day for final exams, there are very few students at school...basically those whose parents force them to attend; of course, the students want to begin their summer vacation. Her last day will be Tuesday. I have been sending her a couple of cards each week this month. She too is ready to start on the next phase of her life but sad to leave a profession she has truly loved. We have taught some wonderful students. While I don't miss all the grading at home, I do miss the teaching and the interaction with the students. Debbie will feel the same I'm sure. Anyway, this is the first card I sent her to celebrate the beginning of her new life.


If for no other reason she will celebrate not having to grade 1,000+ essays and 240+ research papers a year in addition to the all tests, quizzes, and homework.
Thanks for stopping by,
Cammie
Supplies:
Stamps: Image is from Card Sentiments (Clear Art Stamps), and the sentiment is from Life (PTI).
Ink: Black (Memento) Pure Poppy (PTI)
Cardstock: Lemon Tart and Pure Poppy (PTI)
Other: Cuttlebug embossing folder, Nestabilities, Prismacolor Pencils and OMS to color image

1 comment:

  1. I am pretty sure she will love it, this card is wonderful, and means more if coming from a special friend.
    You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one.