Thursday, March 11, 2010

Morning Glory and Flourishes Celebration FLLCCEL1

The first Flourishes challenge to celebrate the opening of the new improved on-line store was issued on Monday. It is a sketch challenge, using this sketch by Becky Fleck, hostess of Pagemaps.com and Flourishes artist.

 I chose the morning glory image from A Year in Flowers set 2. I absolutely love all the gorgeous flowers included in each of the three sets.

I frequently look at online photos of flowers to help me choose my colors. The first image I colored I used magenta hued flowers, but I wasn't happy with it, so for the second attempt. I went with the more common blue variety. After stamping the image with Memento Rich Cocoa, I colored it with Copics.  I wanted to sew on this card, but it took three tries. My first two attempts were trashed; the feeder plate pressure was loose; of course, I couldn't figure out the problem after the first botched attempt even though I knew the paper wasn't feeding correctly.  It just didn't feel right. So I tried a second time and got  the ziz-zag stitching done, but then the straight stitching went bonkers. At that point, I was about to give up because Patience is not my middle name although my husband is always telling me it is. (He is so subtle. LOL). But then I realized the problem, so I decided to try one more time...and it worked. The the crooked stitching is completely user caused; I just told myself it adds to the handmade charm of the card. I frequently tell myself this :)   Adding the ribbon and buttons was such a relief after the problems. I chose blue buttons to mirror the blue flower and used white embroidery thread to mirror the white centers of the flowers. After several restarts, I finished the card. I  can't say that I'm  100 % pleased with end result, but I am happy that there was an end.
Thanks for taking stopping by,

Supplies:
Stamps:  A Year in Flowers set 2 (Flourishes)
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa (Tsukineko)
Paper: Spring Rain, Lavendar Moon, Pretty Pastels,Stamper's Select White (PTI)
Other: Copics, Spring Rain twill ribbon and Vintage Buttons (PTI), Fiskars border punch

11 comments:

  1. Hey Cammie!
    I feel your 'pain' regarding the sewing on the card. The third time around is 'a charm'! Your card is beautiful. It reminds me of old fashion drawings of flowers. Vintage. You did a very good job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the sewing. Glad you hung in there though. I think you should be very happy with the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pretty card. Nice soft look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I haven't done sewing yet, glad you persevered. So pretty, such nice coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tenacity paid off!!! The finished product looks great. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cammie!!! I just hand sew on cards!! You did a beautiful job!! Your coloring is gorgeous too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful card--such wonderful colors and so soft & delicate! I have never even attempted to machine sew on cards and admire your perseverance! Your stitching looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a soft, delicate and vintage result. You did a good job with this one. thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I am "trying" to not hoard my Webster's paper. So hard to do since it is so pretty I just love to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. vraiment superbe et raffinée, bravo ta carte est très inspirante

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Cammie... what a stunner of a card! Thanks for joining us in our celebration! Hope you had fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one.