Thursday, March 4, 2010

Spring Time

Spring time,hopefully, is just around the corner. This sentiment is expressed on so many blogs. In fact we are supposed to get a taste of spring Sunday and Monday with the temperature in the low 60s. And this morning the trees are casting shadows! Woohoo-a sunny day!
This morning is the deadline for Lisa Johnson's first Poppy Seed Challenge. I love her concept of three details to include on your card.


For my card I chose the Year of the Flower:Violet stamp. While we normally think of violets being all  purple, there actually are many varieties of violas. Some of my favorite violas and pansies are the sorbet variety. Here is a picture of a Lemon Swirl sorbet viola which was the inspiration for my card.

My three seeds: Violet stamp
                          Yellow center in the flower and the card base
                          Three gems in the center of the violet and one dotting the i in the sentiment


I stamped the violet in Rich Cocoa and colored with Prismacolor pencils, blending with baby oil.For this card I wanted the softer colors I get with colored pencils as compared to the richer colors of Copics. I mounted the violet on an embossed flourished panel to loosely mimic leaves. The border punch is a new Martha Stewart pansy punch which I had to order as soon as I saw it. I tied this bow several times. I have such a time getting satin  ribbon tied tightly. It was turning into satan ribbon by the time I called it quits.--LOL. Any tips you'd like to share  for working with satin ribbon? Thanks for stopping by and I hope the sun is shining on you today.
Cammie

Supplies:
Stamps: A Year In Flowers:Violet, Take Three:Spring(PTI)
Ink: Rich Cocoa (Memento), Ripe Avocado (PTI)
Paper: Vintage Cream, Ripe Avocado, Lemon Tart (PTI)
Other: Prismacolor Pencils, Pansy Border Punch(Martha Stewart), gems and ribbon (Hobby Lobby)

16 comments:

  1. Love the softness of the prismacolor pencils. That punch is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a warm, spring-y card. That violet looks exactly like the picture, way to go! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great card especially with the addition of the punched border to match!! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card. I'm seeing so much green and purple together and it's so striking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely card Cammie! Great job with the coloring, it was a good choice to use the pencils instead of Copics. I don't have any tips on tying the ribbon, I have the same problem! I think you need an extra finger to hold the middle in place while you're doing the bow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful Cammie! You did a great job of coloring your violet, and taking the inspiration from a real violet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh stop. I just placed a PTI order, I can't do it every day! What a lovely representation of the flower, the coloring is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cammie, this is so delicate and SO pretty! You did a fabulous job coloring and how sweet to add a matching border punch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cammie this is lovely. Your use of purple and green together is SO spring to me! Plus your tiny rhinestone for the i is the perfect detail!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear spring is on the way where you are. Pretty card too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL @ satan ribbon... Too funny, Cammie! :) Awesome card, love the bold colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very pretty! I love the soft colors of the pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card Cammie! I love violets!!
    A trick I use with satin ribbon is when you are pulling the loops out to snug up the middle, make sure you have your thumbs inside the loops. Pull both thumbs at the same time. I start with as small a loop as my thumb size will allow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cammie, how pretty! That Martha Stewart border punch is the perfect addition to this card. Love your background, too.

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one.